Guides and Tutorials
Create an SMB share
In this tutorial, you’ll use the QF2 dashboard to create a Server Message Block (SMB) share. The share allows SMB clients to share data stored in a particular directory.
- Log in as admin if you need to.
- The dashboard appears.
- Point to Sharing and then click SMB Shares from the drop-down list.
- You should see something similar to this screen, which lists the available shares.
In this example, there are no shares.
- Click Create.
- The SMB Share dialog box appears.
- You must fill in all the required files. Here are the definitions.
- File system path. The path to the directory to be shared.
- Create new directory with inherited permissions. If selected, creates a new directory if the file system path does not exist.
- Share name. The SMB name for the share.
- Description. A description of the share (optional).
- Allow guest. Enables the share to be accessed anonymously. The default is No.
- Read-only. The default is No.
- Enable access-based enumeration. Displays only the files and folders that a user has permissions to access. If a user does not have Read (or equivalent) permissions for a folder, the folder is hidden from the user’s view. The default is No.
Here is an example that creates a new directory named testshare. It allows guests, is read-writeable, and does not have access-based enumeration.
- Click Save.Once the operation completes, the newly created share appears on the SMB Shares list.
You can edit a share’s properties.
- On the SMB Shares page, click the pencil icon next to the directory whose quota you want to change.
- The SMB Share dialog box opens.
- Click Save when you are done editing.
You can delete a share.
- On the SMB Shares page, click the trashcan icon next to the share you want to delete.
- You will be asked to confirm the deletion.
- Click Yes, Delete to confirm the deletion or click Cancel to keep the share.