Medical imaging is an indispensable tool in medical diagnosis; healthcare professionals require fast and reliable access to that imaging data in order to deliver accurate and timely patient diagnosis.
Medical imaging technology is continuing to proliferate with the introduction of new, higher resolution modalities that are revolutionizing diagnostics. The growth in the size and number of medical images is driving increased capacity requirements for healthcare PACS (Picture Archive and Communications Systems) imaging storage.
That, combined with the ongoing consolidation of healthcare systems with disparate healthcare PACS vendors and associated storage, creating data silos that increase administrative and capital costs for hospital IT professionals.
Qumulo’s enterprise-proven hybrid cloud file storage enables healthcare organizations to unify the storage of imaging and clinical data, to speed accessibility and analysis, while delivering analytics, intelligence and efficiencies to streamline processes, simplify management, and reduce costs of retaining and protecting data.
When considering a storage solution for your PACS system, keep these five factors in mind:
- A Simple Architecture: Traditional PACS storage architecture relies on multiple tiers of storage, requiring IT and PACS admins to understand and manage multiple systems. Qumulo provides the option of moving to a single tier of storage freeing up the administrators’ time from managing storage tiers and onto more value add activities.
- High Performance and Strong Economics: With Qumulo’s distributed file system, all writes are committed to SSDs and are only moved to performant HDD after the data has cooled off. This ensures that the first study reads are coming from all-flash, delivering the performance required by clinicians. When the data cools to HDD, Qumulo’s AI-powered prefetch algorithms move data being read to the SSDs, ensuring fast and reliable access to the medical images. By eliminating the need for a separate all-flash cache, Qumulo helps lower the TCO of the PACS both upfront, and in the long term.
- Delightful Customer Experience: When things go wrong or you have a question, you need to make sure that you have bought from a vendor that is invested in your success. Does your organization live off of Slack? Or are you more inclined to jump on the phone when you have a question? With multiple ways of accessing engineering resources immediately, Qumulo’s customers enjoy the highest level of service and support, ensuring that their applications enjoy continued access to storage.
- Reliable, Long-Term Storage Without Migration Headaches: PACS storage migration can be complicated and very costly. Qumulo’s file system enables customers to refresh the underlying physical architecture of their file system while maintaining uninterrupted availability and performance of the data to end users. When it is time to refresh the hardware, simply plug in the new node, as Qumulo file storage software is designed to enable the support and release of new platforms and features to our customers, much faster than other vendors, so our customer’s architectures are always up to date.
- An Infrastructure For Today’s Needs, and Tomorrow’s Technologies: Artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms are already changing how healthcare is delivered, and PACS vendors are already introducing solutions with these technologies in order to help speed up and ensure more accurate patient diagnoses. These AI/ML algorithms can have a significant impact on the performance of the PACS system and require fast and immediate access to the data. Furthermore, more and more algorithms are being used to check the diagnosis of previous studies and these also require fast access to data that Qumulo’s file storage can provide.
Interested in learning more? The right storage vendor can make all the difference. Get a demo of Qumulo’s hybrid cloud file storage today!